Music Banter - View Single Post - Win The Batlord Over to Prog
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2014, 06:47 PM   #74 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Rush - Hemispheres

Figured I'd go with some more Rush. I think Trollheart's recs killed my patience, as I threw this on last night and wasn't having it. Now I'm digging it much harder. As I'm a riff man, they're definitely the main thing I notice, and whoever the **** their guitarist is has got some killer ones. I've actually noticed quite a few that wouldn't sound out of place on a Sabbath album. Even when the guitar work isn't particularly heavy it's usually catchy and dynamic. Rush has an energy that keeps me far more engaged than a lot of what I've heard from other bands.

Also digging the more developed sound than on 2112. As cool as it was, the title track seemed like some of the bits were being forced to fit together, whereas the eighteen-minute epic on this album, "Cygnus X-1 Book II Hemispheres" feels more organic. Still know **** all about song structure, but I digs it.

There's also a sense of light-hearted fun to their sound. They don't seem to be pretentious or taking themselves to seriously. Unlike Marillion. Thinking I actually like Rush now. Too lazy to say anything else.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote