Music Banter - View Single Post - Win The Batlord Over to Prog
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2014, 07:46 PM   #79 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

miRthkon - Vehicle

You know, I think it actually helps that I have a short attention span and little appreciation for complexity, or else I'd probably be confounded by this. As it is I just kind of listen to what's going on right now and don't think much about it, so it all kind of goes by in a fun, stream-of-consciousness blur. I might have very little idea what the **** I just listened to, but I was still entertained. I dig how the percussive, stop/start nature of the music gives it a sort of playful edge, like the band is ****ing with me and letting me know it.

Obviously as a metalhead I'm gonna notice the guitar parts, and it's also pretty cool how they often contrast simple, alt metal riffing by playing it over oddball passages using saxophones and other weird **** that somehow rhythmically sync up. About two thirds of the way through "Zhagunk" they even throw a guitar solo that delightfully makes almost no sense when paired with those riffs.

In all honesty though, as fun as this is, unless they went in a completely different direction with their next album, I don't know that I would have any need to listen to it. Vehicle is just too random for individual songs to make much of an impression on me for the most part. I could probably just throw this on and tune in and out and not even be able to definitively say that I'd even heard this part or that song before.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.

Last edited by The Batlord; 12-30-2014 at 07:54 PM.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote