Music Banter - View Single Post - The Playlist of Life --- Trollheart's resurrected Journal
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2014, 12:28 PM   #2646 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

And so we've come to the end of yet another year, and it's with some surprise I anticipate heading into my fifth year writing this journal. Odd in itself when you consider I only joined Music Banter originally to do something which, unbeknownst to me at the time, contravened the rules: solicit views for a webpage I had made. However, once I saw the Members Journals section I was instantly attracted and interested, and though my first sojourn here ended less than amicably, I got over that and returned for another shot in 2011. Since then, apart from my absence this year, I've really never been away from the place.

It's always amazed me how popular my journals have become, to judge from views and comments. It's been great being able to share my ideas, thoughts, impressions and feelings with you all, and I hope to continue to do this for a long time yet. As each year passes, I try to expand on and make more individual my presence here, whether that means new sections to existing journals, taking the ones I have in new directions or indeed creating completely new journals, and it's been extremely gratifying to see others here do the same. When I joined, the Members Journals section was pretty dead. A few people had journals --- some very good ones --- but generally it was something of a backwater, unused by a very large percentage of the membership. Since then though, particularly since I began the Update thread, more and more people have discovered a need to share their love of music, or comic books, or movies, or whatever the hell they like, and the section is really buzzing now.

That's the great thing: from being a section which featured most people just writing about music it has expanded to include so many diverse and interesting journals, from Mondo's one on drugs to The Batlord's epic saga and from arguments about Star Trek and Doctor Who to members showcasing their own music. Now it truly is all-inclusive, and there is literally no limit to what people can, and do, write about. Some will tell you this is mostly down to me, but that's really doing an injustice to those who put the hard slog in here every week to bring you their journals. Sure, I may have kicked the place up the arse a little, fanned the flames and got people interested, but all of that would have been for nothing if authors had not written, if ideas had not coalesced into journals and those journals been maintained and enlarged, until we have the thriving sub-community we have today.

So thank you all, for your hard work and for following me (those of you who were not already writing before I showed up: let's not get the idea I invented this section or anything!) into this bright and interesting land where one man or woman's favourite album is another's most hated, and where something one person thinks of as a cult film can be a real snooze-fest to another, where lively debate often breaks out but where, mostly, we're talking about people writing in the solitude of their homes, apartments, offices, small holes in the ground or up trees, putting down their thoughts for the enjoyment, perusal, entertainment and perhaps criticism of others. They can call me the Godfather of Journals all they like (as long as I pay them) but you guys and girls are the true lifeblood of the Members Journal Section, a little place we like to think of as Journaltown. So thanks for that, and long may it continue.

As for me, well this year I've made something less of a splash than I had intended, what with my three-month break and then Metal Month II; a lot of things I had intended to premier this year have had to be held back, and hopefully will come to fruition in the coming year. But it has been the year of the establishment of an annual month here devoted to metal, and believe me, if you thought Metal Month II was good, well, just hold on to your hats is all I can say! There's so much planned for 2015, some of which may actually happen, that it looks like being yet another busy year for Trollheart, which is just how I like it.

With the start of my journey through “1001 albums you must hear before you die”, the soon-to-be-initiated “Trollheart Rates Your Music”, the conclusion (finally) of my NWOBHM special, complete discographies of Tom Waits, Marillion and Genesis (shut up Frownland, you too Batty!) , to say nothing of the preparations for Metal Month III and new sections like “Kingmaker” and “Roses among the thorns”, the return of old sections and the expansion of others, there should hopefully be something for everyone here at the Playlist of Life.

And if not, well I have six other journals you can read!

So finally let me just say, thanks again for all the views as we approach the magical two hundred thousand mark; thanks for reading, for commenting, for disagreeing with me if you felt you had to and for mocking me when you felt you wanted to. Whether you're a regular reader or just drop by the odd time, I hope you continue to find something of interest here, and keep coming back.

A very Happy New Year to you all, and I'll see you on the other side!
Blian Nua mhath agaibh, agus beannacht!
Trollheart.