Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart takes on "1001 Albums you must hear before you die"
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2015, 03:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Default Trollheart takes on "1001 Albums you must hear before you die"

I announced this back in December and as it's such a huge undertaking I want to get it started as soon as possible. The source I'm going to use, as I don't actually have or particularly want to read the book, is this http://rateyourmusic.com/list/rtfm/1...onological/11/; I've looked at a few and though they all appear to be more or less the same albums, some have ones missing, some don't number them and some have them listed alphabetically. This, then, seems to be the most comprehensive and accurate link I've found, but if anyone knows of another I should be using let me know.

A word on reviews: I don't think anyone is expecting detailed synopses of these albums. Firstly, if they're in this list they're something less than obscure, and secondly there are over a thousand of them, so even if I manage my goal of listening to one a day (which is in no way certain) I could not afford to do long-winded reviews, or else what little black is left in my hair would be long turned to grey by the time I was finished. I have no illusions that even doing things this way, this will be anything other than an undertaking that spans several years, depending on how often I manage to listen to the albums, given all the other work I have to do. But to ensure it doesn't take the rest of my life, I'll be copying elements from the “Bitesize” format, though on the comments section I will be strictly restricting myself to a maximum of three lines per album. There'll also be a short (very short) introduction to the album and/or artiste, which will be separate from the three-line review. Any albums I already know will just be noted and then I'll move on.

In addition, I'll be awarding each album a rating (even those I've already heard) which will be strictly based on what I alone thought of the album, not its place in music history, its essential worth or its legacy. This is all based on my opinion, so even if say a Dean Martin or Bob Marley record is considered a classic and indispensable and one of those you should hear before you die, if I hate it or it doesn't impress me it will be rated accordingly. No slight or insult is intended as ever, and my rating system will follow usual format of 1 to 5, 5 being a total classic you have to hear and that I love, 1 being a turd on vinyl. To add a little humour and tie in to the theme, the ratings will all be represented by tombstones (geddit?)...

To do things a little differently, although these are not ranked, I'll be starting from number 1001 and working backwards, and as I see these are arranged in chronological order that means we'll be travelling backwards in time. Woo! Where's the TARDIS? It also means it'll be at least a year before I have to suffer boring albums from the forties or fifties!

Number one thousand and one coming up shortly!