Music Banter - View Single Post - Acoustic Act PA Rig
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2015, 04:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
Anodos
Groupie

Default Acoustic Act PA Rig

I do a fair bit of performing acoustic folk/country music solo or in small ensembles, and I'm finally buckling down to get my own PA system being that more often than not the venues around where I live in Sweden don't have one of their own, which has meant borrowing from someone else.

As I think through what PA set up would suit me best, I really like the idea of getting a small tower-style PA like the LD Systems Maui 11 (AKA Fender Expo) and hooking up a large diaphragm cardioid (LDC) condenser microphone to it. I would then probably plug my acoustic guitar directly into the system and then have the mic for vocals or other acoustic instruments that would perform with me. I used to play in a bluegrass band that had a set up like this, and I like both the sound and the old fashioned charm in it.

So my question to those of you who know what you're talking about in this arena is does this kind of a PA set up make sense for a solo or small ensemble acoustic act in venues of up to 100 people, and if so, do you have a particular LDC microphone that you recommend? At the moment I'm thinking about the Audio-Technica 2035 (affordable and widely recommended for recording) or the MXL 9000 if it would be nice to have a tube condenser mic. The problem I find is that most of the info I find online about this kind of microphone revolves around recording and not performing, and I'm not sure if it really makes a difference model to model if you're going to use it for performing.

So there's my conundrum. Any thoughts?
Anodos is offline   Reply With Quote