Music Banter - View Single Post - The Poseur Cave
Thread: The Poseur Cave
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2015, 11:51 AM   #322 (permalink)
Isbjørn
cooler commie than elph

Devil's Dancefloor

Artist: Black Sabbath
Album: Black Sabbath
Year: 1970
Genre: Heavy metal, blues rock

This album was not on the top 10 list The Batlord compiled, so I don't think Justin is going to feature it*, but goddammit, I couldn't leave it out. A Black Sabbath album, Heaven and Hell, was included, but this is the band's first album, and my personal favourite.

I can't imagine what it must've been like for kids in the seventies hearing this for the first time. They must have all pissed themselves. With the simple tritone riff on “Black Sabbath”, the band created a sinister, brooding atmosphere many later bands struggled (and still struggle) to recreate. That song is the ultimate soundtrack to the apocalypse, and with it they became the first band to play not just heavy metal, but also doom metal, a style they would be the sole practitioners of until nearly ten years later. Unfortunately, the other tracks don't follow in the same vein, but that doesn't mean they're not great as well. “The Wizard” is totally groovy, and “N.I.B.” is one of my favourite songs ever. They kind of fade in comparison to the title track, though. Oh, well.

4.5/5

*Justin did feature it
Isbjørn is offline   Reply With Quote