Music Banter - View Single Post - Moss comes Alive at Leeds and gets his Ya-Ya's out
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2015, 02:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Moss
Scuttle Buttin'

Guided by Voices
Date: 2/26/2002
Venue: Fox Theatre Boulder, Colorado
Tour: Universal Truths and cycles tour
Opening band: Desaparecidos

From what I rememeber, opening band Desaparecidos was disappointing. Basically a Bright Eyes spin off band but much more hardcore sounding. Conor Oberst was not in attendance (which I didn’t mind, not a fan) and the remaining members just didn’t seem to really know what they were doing and looked bored. Not very memorable at all.

So on to GBV!
One of my absolute favorite concerts of all time, and still one of my favorite bands. I had never seen GBV prior to this show so was not quite sure what to expect but it exceeded expectations in every way. Kind of the opposite of a SWANS show. Instead of a small number of long songs you get a ton of short, catchy songs. Probably somewhere around 40 songs, some of them as short as 30 seconds. Before the show started, a roadie placed 3 things on the stage: A cooler of beer, A bucket that said “piss” and a bucket that said “puke”. The band came out, grabbed beer from the cooler, the place erupted, and the show stayed like a giant party the rest of the way. Don’t have a setlist, just remember “glad girls”, “Bulldog skin”, and a bunch of others. Anybody that follows GBV knows it’s difficult just to keep up with the output, Pollard is not known for restraint and self editing. Something about Pollards stage presence with his scissor kicks and mike spinning just works and does not come across as cheesy. I have seen them 2 more times since this show and they never disappoint but this show was something special.

Highlight of the show was Pollard handing me a beer from the band cooler towards the end of the show.

If you are new to GBV, start with the albums Bee Thousand or Alien Lanes. I would also highly recommend the Pollard solo album From a compound eye. Not everything they have released is great but for the sheer volume it’s amazing how consistently great they are.

Moss is offline   Reply With Quote