Music Banter - View Single Post - Stuck in the Garage...
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2015, 06:38 PM   #71 (permalink)
Oriphiel
Ask me how!

Default EP Madness!

Continuing with the EP Madness...

Sir Psycho

In the late 1970's, in the heart of the Punk and Post-Punk years, many different musical scenes sprung up as bands experimented with the sounds that they could achieve. One such fledgling scene was the emerging genre of Psychobilly, and The Sharks were one of the bands that helped it to make the transition into the 1980's. Comprised of Alan Wilson, Paul Hodges, and Steve Whitehouse, these UK rockers broke up in 1986, just three years after releasing their debut album. However, they reunited in the early 1990's, and set about once again helping their genre to continue into a new decade. They've been together ever since (and, in fact, have just recently released some new material). This EP, "Sir Psycho", was released in 1996, three years after their come-back.

1. "Side Show Freak" - With twangy guitars, a frantic vocalist, and plenty of style, this Psychobilly number has all the hallmarks of the genre. It's a solid number, but lacks a little bit of the raw intensity that the style has become infamous for.

2. "Sir Psycho" - This track has more energy to it, with a quicker pace and a fun intro. Also, The Sharks' UK roots really show here, as their accents are much more noticeable than in the first track. I like it!

3. "Cold Heart" - Another quick and scrambling track! Similar to the last song, this one is just as energetic, and has quite a few skillful guitar breaks played with a generous amount of twang.

4. "Between Two Worlds" - The final track of the EP. Unfortunately, I can't find this song anywhere. Looks like I'll have to track it down one of these days...

I suppose I should warn you that these songs have explicit lyrics here and there...

The Sharks have a pretty fun time with this one, keeping things moving at a good pace. Their particular style of Psychobilly focuses more on speed and cohesion rather than the wild intensity of their peers. Don't be misled by that statement though, they have quite a bit of excitement to their music, and I imagine that these songs would be the perfect soundtrack if you ever find yourself drag racing with the devil!

Last edited by Oriphiel; 01-05-2015 at 06:44 PM.
Oriphiel is offline   Reply With Quote