Music Banter - View Single Post - Self Taught vs Non-Self Taught Musicians
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2015, 07:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
pianocourts
Groupie

Very interesting to hear these replies.

In my eyes, notation provides us with a written musical language, which is surely a positive to anybody with a true musical passion. However I would certainly agree with you 'EPOCH6'. Before seriously thinking about learning music theory I feel that it is important to develop your ear to a certain degree, just listening to the sounds of the instrument and 'messing about' on it. When I started to learn songs by ear, I would listen to songs from video games and films for example, having to deconstruct the song in my mind, focusing on the bass, melody, harmony, percussion and sfx individually, before creating my own improvised arrangement of the song. This can definitely teach you much about different aspects of music - analysis, musical expression and to develop the confidence of knowing that there are no 'rules' in music. People who neglect this in the early stages and jump straight in to personal lessons run the risk of never developing a self reliance; they will always need somebody else to teach them and will never find their own path as they fear being 'wrong'. In addition, I have met countless people who tell me that they 'used' to have lessons but grew tired or become demotivated to carry on. This is far less common in self-taught musicians, in my experience.

Very good to hear of a guitar teacher who structures their lessons in such a way, placing the focal point on aural training as a foundation.

Also, 'Plankton' - Thats an interesting M.O and i agree that conditioning is the key.

It would be interesting to get some contrasting views and opinions from some non self-musicians which rely more on sheet music as opposed to improvisation etc.
pianocourts is offline   Reply With Quote