Music Banter - View Single Post - Stuck in the Garage...
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2015, 05:32 AM   #72 (permalink)
Oriphiel
Ask me how!

Default EP Madness!

It's time to finish off this wave of EP Madness...

Cold Wars

This EP was released in 1979 by the cult Scottish Punk band The Rezillos! It was crafted using songs from their debut LP, and put out during a turbulent time in their history, being the last material that they released together in their current incarnation. After breaking up, they had a bit of a revival in the 1980's under the new name "The Revillos", who are still putting out new material and touring to this day. Comprised of Fay Fife (the eccentric lead vocalist), Jo Callis (who later joined The Human League), Eugene Reynolds, Hi-Fi Harris, Dr. D.K. Smyth, William Mysterious, and Angel Paterson, as well as many other members at different times, here are The Rezillos!

1. "Cold Wars" - A New Wave Punk song through and through. It's a fun and solid number, with the distortion and thrashy energy of other Punk songs put out at the same time.

2. "Flying Saucer Attack" - The Rezillos take the intensity of Punk Rock and mix it with their own distinctly light-hearted sound! One of their classic songs (along with "Top of the Pops", which was a solid hit for them), it captures them in their brief prime.

3. "Twist and Shout" - A live track! It's kind of odd, being a Post-Punk take on a classic Rock 'n Roll tune, but it generally manages to entertain throughout. This is the only song on the EP where Fay Fife isn't the lead vocalist (I believe Eugene Reynolds is singing here, but i'm not positive).

This is kind of an awkward EP, being a re-release of older material with a live track seemingly added as a bonus, and it seems like it's simply an attempt on the part of their label to cash in on an imploding band. Still, Flying Saucer Attack is as fun as it's always been, and while Cold Wars isn't one of their strongest tracks, it's still a fairly solid Punk song.

And thus ends this round of EP Madness! Sadly, that means it's now time for us to part, however fear not! I'll return before too long, bringing with me a new and exciting album for us to examine. Until then, keep on being amazing people, and remember that the best music happens in the Garage!

Last edited by Oriphiel; 03-06-2015 at 04:23 AM.
Oriphiel is offline   Reply With Quote