Music Banter - View Single Post - I know what I like: Trollheart's History of Progressive Rock and Progressive Metal
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2015, 07:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
*Sees Zappa and Beefheart recs*

*giggles*

Seriously though, its still quite possible that you might like Safe As Milk (like I said from the beginning of the TMR event yet you adamantly disagreed) as well as (most of) Freak Out!

Time will tell and I can't wait to see your thoughts on the albums in any case, but be warned that Lumpy Gravy will be a bit of a challenge for ya.
I'm already on three valium a day!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet_Sounds View Post
Looks good to me. Fifth Dimension's inclusion is a bit confusing--it's a fantastic album, but I really didn't think it was prog-related at all. However, I'm sure you've researched it more thoroughly than I have.

BTW, "Good Vibrations" was never, to my knowledge, a BB album title. Perhaps you're thinking of Smiley Smile?
Of course, nobody can out-research the man when it comes to The Beach Boys! Yeah, Wiki screwed up; it's a single but they have it under albums. D'oh!

As for The Byrds, here's what the Big W has to say:

Upon release, Fifth Dimension was widely regarded as the band's most experimental album to date and is today considered influential in originating the musical genre of psychedelic rock

So if it's important to psych rock then I guess it qualifies. I'll probably only skim over it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
So you're going to be delving into more Captain Beefheart, then?
If it is important to the prog rock movement I'll be getting my shovel out and pulling on my wellies, be it freakout, psychout, chillout or bluesout, or any other out.

I posted the albums I'm looking at for 66/67; I'll be doing that for each year.