Music Banter - View Single Post - What do you think of Digital Books?
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2015, 03:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
grindy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eqoatl View Post
I dont care for them. It could be because we're so accustomed to looking at screens that the traditional paperback is a nice escape, an organic feeling, or maybe because I'm old-fashioned.

But I enjoy flipping pages and watching the creases form at the spine after I've been reading for a long period of time. Highlighting and taking notes on certain paragraphs that transported me from my world into the writer's. Going back and reading the same words, accompanied by the same feeling.

There's something about tapping a piece of glass that doesn't make me feel the same. Staring at a display of words feels disconnected, like I can't reach that meditative trance. Its like that intrinsic piece of the writer to reader feels like its missing.

How do you feel about them?

-DB
I was initially sceptical, as I am not a fan of gadgets and don't own a smartphone or a tablet.
Then my dad gave me a Kindle as a gift three years ago and I really came to like it. It's as easy on the eyes as an ordinary book, there are lots of easily available e-books that are pretty hard to get in physical form and it's just great to read about some book late at night, being able to immediately download it and start reading. I still own and read lots of normal books and still am an avid customer at the library, but the e-book has definitely enriched my life.