Music Banter - View Single Post - AC/DC Rock or Bust
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2015, 03:49 AM   #22 (permalink)
CoNtrivedNiHilism
Because I Am, I Can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
So people who say that they never change are ignorant (insert Michael Jackson gif here)...but AC/DC never needed to change? I'm a little confused man.

To add on to my confusion you suggest that when a band makes a horrible attempt at alt-rock being an attempt to stay relevant? Bands that **** out the same album time after time (I'd name some, but just look at most of the classics) were already huge by the time that they were trying to stay relevant and had a rather sizeable fanbase that would buy whatever X Group would shove into a cd case and ram it down their throats for a couple of months saying it's the **** when it's just **** (see: Endless River; same **** I hated about all of your albums, different albums; you died an ugly swan, Pink Floyd). Metallica would definitely be one of those groups.

A band may not NEED to change their style, sometimes it's even preferred, but when Back In Black is running its course through your digestive system once again, you might want to head off to the grocery store and buy something fresh before you regurgitate it back onto your family who's really too nice to say anything about how awful it is.
I acknowledge your points, all valid. Let's see if I can help your confusion, man trust me, I know I can confuse people easily with my train of (often odd) thought...

I didn't say that everyone that said AC/DC should have made changes throughout their career, were ignorant to say so. It's their opinion. I think maybe using that word was the wrong way to express my thought in the first place, so my bad there.

Frownland, I like the bands I listen to, to evolve throughout their career too. But there are those bands that are still here today, that just do not need to, and AC/DC are one of those bands in my opinion. I understand peoples desire for there to have been change at some point, but that doesn't matter because the band will do what they want in the end. AC/DC just don't seem to see a point to do any changing, whether that is because they know fans will buy whatever the pack in a cd case, as you said, or there's just no desire within the band for change.

And, no, not every attempt to try something new, is done so to remain relevant. A lot of bands do it just because they can, or want to. I've always wanted to hear a more aggressive AC/DC record, but I am content if I never get it. And don't bring Pink Floyd in to this haha, what they did with this last album, was a pretty lame move, and I don't care of it is meant to be a tribute to their keyboardist or whatever. The music was so mediocre, it hurt. I don't think they could have made it more clear how much they don't give a sh*t what their fans wanted, The Endless River was a sorry offering. But...you know, haha, I also believe bands don't need to, or shouldn't cater to their fans every demand.

To get back to my prior post and your reply to it. Ignorant was the wrong choice of a word on my part. Ignorance doesn't factor in here. So I am man enough to say you have me there, I really have no defense for why I even said that.

Bottom line. Anyone familiar with this band, should know what they'll get with albums they put out. They've been consistent with their sound from the beginning.
CoNtrivedNiHilism is offline   Reply With Quote