Music Banter - View Single Post - Producing, Recording, Mixing & Mastering Support
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2015, 06:30 AM   #37 (permalink)
Plankton
Just Keep Swimming...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
So I did a recording today with several tracks. I did them via USB mic into Audacity. On all of the tracks there's a hiss, kind of like a room noise. I recorded this in a tunnel so I did want the echoes and stuff to some degree, but the hiss sort of takes over, especially with like 6 tracks playing the same noise. Is there anything I could do to cut that out or is it there to stay?

Other than using the method above for each track, here's another solution that looks like it might be a better way to go, but it is a bit more complicated:

Quote:
My method for hiss/hum/frequency filtering:

1. First, be sure to uncheck "Select all audio in project, if none selected" from "Edit > Preferences > Tracks" menu.
2. Select the original track (click on track control panel) and duplicate it (Edit > Duplicate).
3. Do the same with the duplicate track. Now we have 3 tracks (the original one and 2 diplicates, lets call them 1st and 2nd).
4. Select the 2nd duplicate and invert its data (Effect > Invert).
5. Select the 1st duplicate and use "Effect > Equalization..." to:
5.1. Cut high frequencies, where the hiss noise is;
5.2. Cut low frequencies, where the hum noise is;
5.3. Or to cut some specific frequency you'd like to remove.
6. Select the both duplicate tracks (select the 1st one, hold the shift key and then select the 2nd one). Mix and render them (Tracks > Mix and Render).
7. Use the "Envelope Tool" (Press F2 key) to compress the "healthy" sound to the level of the noise. Now we have the "noise profile" with inverted data.
8. Mix and render the original track with the "noise profile".
Taken from here:
Audacity Forum • View topic - How to remove "hiss" and "hum"?