Music Banter - View Single Post - Trombone Shorty: Backatown
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2015, 10:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
MasterBaggins
Delicious Member

Default Trombone Shorty: Backatown

Trombone (Troy) Shorty, born and grown in New Orleans (Ohlans) released his first solo album Backatown in 2010, revealing a sound never heard before. His powerful jazz, rock, and metal fusion style had a soul of its own, and separated itself from most other jazz fusion styles.

Backatown jumps right off with the heavy hitting track Suburbia, blending Troy's own style of composition with metal influences. This introduction gives a very defining first impression that can entice almost any listener.

Alright, now that I'm done with that crap, I get to talk about this cool cat in the way that I want.

Trombone Shorty is, in short, a badass. He takes the music he heard growing up in New Orleans and blends it pretty seamlessly with modern influences. Touting his own trumpet and trombone solos in the songs, making use of improvisation, he gives his music a soul that is lacking in way too much modern crap. And besides, have you heard his trombone playing? This guy is a machine, he can blast out notes that I can't get on my trumpet. Oh, and he can sing, really good too. Jack of all trades, master of none? Nah, Troy is a master of music, and this first foray into the music business on his own isn't a polite party congratulating his ability to find a producer, this is a punch in the face to anyone who forgot how cool jazz instrumentation and experimentation can be.
Troy definitely loses a bit of the spirit of jazz in his style, as his music is made to appeal to a modern audience, but he doesn't lose too much musicality. I found this album a year after it had been released, and found its sound to be truly original from anything else I had ever heard. It's an album that I'm proud to recommend to anyone who needs to be introduced to the absolute badassery of Trombone Shorty, a name that I always listen out for.

1. Suburbia
2. Hurricane Season
3. On Your Way Down
4. Quiet as Kept
5. Something Beautiful
6. Backatown
7. Right to Complain
8. Neph
9. In the 6th
10. One Night Only (the March)
11. Where Y'all At?
12. Fallin'