Music Banter - View Single Post - Stuck in the Garage...
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2015, 11:21 AM   #80 (permalink)
Oriphiel
Ask me how!

Default Boys Versus Girls!

Continuing the Boys Versus Girls battle, here are the boys!

Pebbles Volume Two

1. The Satans - "Makin' Deals" - Here comes Satan himself, and he's on the prowl for souls! Released in 1966, these guys sound an awful lot like the early Rolling Stones. Whats really interesting is that this song has some similarities to the Stones' "Sympathy for the Devil" (with both asking the listener to "guess my name!"), which wasn't recorded until 1968. Did the Stones perhaps rip these guys off? No, they didn't; both songs sound completely different. Still, I think it's fair to say that these boys gave them a little inspiration.

2. The Moving Sidewalks - "The 99th floor" - Here's a Garage Rock/Psychedelic classic! Straight from the 1960's, it's still just as frantic and fun as it's ever been. It's got some nice guitar work, and the screaming near the end is pretty great!

3. The Sons of Adam - "Feathered Fish" - Don't know if these boys had anything to do with the all-girl Garage outfit The Daughters of Eve. This song of theirs is pretty interesting, being a mix of dirty Hard Rock-style guitars with clean Folk vocals.

The Sons of Adam!

4. The Electric Prunes - "Vox Wah-Wah Electric Pedal Commercial" - Ahahahaha! I love it! "It's the now sound!"

5. The Hard Road - "You Rub Me the Wrong Way" - This one is kind of a remake of "Do You Love Me?" by The Contours. With fantastic fuzz-guitar work and sloppy vocals, it's hard to not love this odd-ball track!

6. The Lyrics - "So What!" - Here's another classic Garage Rock song! A whole mess of Revivalists liked this one, with bands like The Gravedigger Five covering it. It's got a nice and heavy beat to it, with some truly fantastic harmonica work, as well as rough and snotty vocals!

The Lyrics' 45!

7. The Buddhas - "Lost Innocence" - Nice and quick, this rocker dips it's toes into Psychedelic territory with it's groovy guitar breaks and sharp electric organ work in the background.

8. The Zakary Thaks - "Bad Girl" - I love it! This one immediately slams into you, being mixed really loudly. The vocals are sloppy, the guitars are thrashy, and the drums are slamming; this is Garage Rock heaven!

9. Randy Alvey and the Green Fuz - "Green Fuz" - Here's yet another Psychedelic/Garage Rock classic, which went on to be covered by the likes of The Cramps. Dirty and unpolished as hell, rumor has it that they band couldn't afford to record in a studio, so they just found a place with good acoustics and home-recorded this unto a reel in one take.

An interview with Randy Alvey of Green Fuz!

10. The Squires - "Go Ahead" - Returning from volume one, these boys aren't quite able to capture the epic tone of their classic Garage anthem "Going All the Way". Still, even though this track kind of awkwardly flirts with both Garage Rock and Pop-Rock without finding it's footing, it's a decent number.

11. The Little Boy Blues - "I Can Only Give You Everything" - This is another song that gets covered pretty regularly. With a solid backbeat, this one boasts some excellent guitar work, having a great break, and fuzz-guitar work throughout.

12. The Dovers - "She's Gone" - Finding a way to be both fast and melancholy, this distant Garage Rock number has a slight Psychedelic/Folk feeling to it.

The Dovers!

13. Phil and the Frantics - "I Must Run" - Very similar to the last track, this is another melancholy number from the Garage. Not my favorite track, but not bad.

14. The Dovers - "What am I Going to Do? - The Dovers return with another distant Garage track. I'm noticing a slow-down in the album as it comes towards the end...

15. The Choir - "It's Cold Outside" - A somewhat well-known Folk-Rock style Garage band, The Choir bring their solid vocals to the table with this fun addition to the compilation!

The Choir!

16. Bobby Fuller - "Wine, Wine, Wine" - A tribute to fermented grapes, this song has a kind of old-school Swing/Boogie Woogie dancehall feeling to it!

17. The Litter - "I'm a Man" - Finishing off the album is a cover of Muddy Water's classic. A nice harmony of Blues and Garage Rock, this is one of the strongest songs of the album!

This is a fantastic compilation! Having so many classic songs, as well as a mess of lesser known rockers, this album is a perfect introduction for anyone looking to get into Garage Rock! It holds up just as well as the first entry in the Pebbles series, and I highly recommend it!

And so the competition comes to an end. Who won? Well, just like the last round of Boys Versus Girls, this one is really no competition at all. And unfortunately for the girls, who claimed victory last time courtesy of Thee Headcoatees, the boys come out on top this time around. Girls in the Garage is a fantastic series, but the third entry just isn't solid enough to compete with the onslaught of classics as provided by Pebbles Volume Two!

It seems the boys have gotten revenge for their past defeat. Will the girls be able to reclaim their past lead? We'll find out the next time around!

Last edited by Oriphiel; 01-07-2015 at 02:18 PM.
Oriphiel is offline   Reply With Quote