Music Banter - View Single Post - Spill Your Guts About MB Members' Tastes In Music
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2015, 02:24 PM   #30 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

John Wilkes Booth: With how much he talks about hip hop, you'd think he'd be an expert, but he really just seems to be a guy who listens to all the 90s gangsta rap he probably listened to as a kid.

Fetcher/Kayleigh: It's been a while since I heard her talk about music, but her taste seems to revolve almost entirely around music that she listens to when she's on drugs.

Frownland: It's pointless to call him pretentious since he's proud of that fact (which I find to be highly commendable), but I get the feeling that when he's older that his taste will grow to encompass a lot of the music he currently looks down on.

Vanilla: I have no problem with her love of mainstream music, as I love a lot of the same stuff, even if I'm not as into it as she is, but given how much she loves Judas Priest and has professed to like Manowar when I recommended them to her, I'd love it if she came into the metal section a bit more so I could shove down her throat all the trad and power metal I know she'd love. Might even find some stoner metal for her.

Spoiler for I bequeeth to you...:
Power/trad metal I know you'll LOVE.

Some stoner metal that might be a shot in the dark, but it's short, so give it a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofle View Post
I'm not whining here, but I don't really understand this. Maybe the stuff I REALLY like goes along with the nerdy white backpacker type, but I also like a lot of non "****ing nerdy and white" Hip Hop.
You're a nerdy white kid in his early twenties who's probably never held a spray paint can in his life and may or may never have even worn a backpack. You're not a backpacker, and calling yourself one is poseurish. You're just a hip hop head.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backpacker_(US_slang)

Quote:
In US urban slang, a backpacker is one who listens to backpacker hip hop (alternative hip hop).[1]

In the 1980s, backpacker was a slang term for a graffiti artist who always wore a backpack containing his music collection and graffiti equipment. Typically, the music collection would consist of local alternative hip hop artists. The term gradually came to refer to someone with this musical taste, and now has almost nothing to do with graffiti (although certain "backpackers" may participate in graffiti "tagging.") It later became a derogatory epithet for alternative hip hop.
There's no reason to call yourself one other than to piggyback on the positive association with an all but dead subculture.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote