Music Banter - View Single Post - The French Massacre - Do We Stand Up For Free Speech?
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2015, 09:49 AM   #80 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Charlie Hebdo is a fairly long-standing mag and very typical of French culture as well. The French in terms of satirical cartoons and drawn cartoons are probably in a class of their own and its very unique to their culture. The country probably has the biggest Muslim population in Europe and the French conservative establishment is still bitter towards the Algerian situation of the 1960s.

So with this type of history, the magazine was always treading on dangerous ground, so I wasn't overly shocked that something like this happened concerning Muslim extremists. Free speech is great and all, and it's what defines our western culture, but stuff changes and evolves, and I think the magazine should've been aware of the potential risks they were running.

As a few people have already mentioned here, just how far should free speech go when criticism is involved and where should common sense kick in?
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote