Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart takes on "1001 Albums you must hear before you die"
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2015, 10:12 AM   #51 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Album title: A grand don't come for free
Artiste: The Streets
Year: 2004
Nationality: British
Genre: Rap/Hip-hop
Chronology: Second album
Previous experience of this artiste, if any: Again, yeah...
Why is this an album you should hear before you die? See previous five albums
Tracklisting: It was supposed to be so easy, Could well be in, Not addicted, Blinded by the lights, Wouldn't have it any other way, Get out of my house, Fit but you know it, Such a twat, What is he thinking, Dry your eyes, Empty cans
Introduction: Dear God no! Save me! A rap opera! What have I done to deserve this??
Comments: Two of my least favourite art forms together in one package: rap and opera. Oh lucky me! Well, in fairness, my dislike of opera mostly stems from the fact that it's a story you have to follow but is almost always in a foreign language, and that won't be the case here. Surprisingly it's refreshingly different, at least the first track. Like the brass accompaniment (usually piano innit?) and the cockney accents give the whole thing a different feel. I can relate to most of this, unlike the American gangsta rap and so on. Quite surprised at how good this is; not at all abrasive as I (assume) much hip-hop to be, not in your face, quite relaxed with a sort of endearing thread of despair going through it. Yeah, I amaze myself by admitting I really like this.
Favourite track(s): It was supposed to be so easy, Could well be in, Blinded by the lights, Fit but you know it, What is he thinking, Dry your eyes, Empty cans
Least favourite track(s): Get out of my house
My impression: Truly a revelation. I had no idea I'd like this and I really do. A real mix of orchestral, opera and hip-hop with a real earthy poetry. Superb.
Rating:

Last edited by Trollheart; 01-12-2015 at 05:22 AM.
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote