Music Banter - View Single Post - The French Massacre - Do We Stand Up For Free Speech?
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2015, 10:12 AM   #92 (permalink)
James
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
The level of hypocrisy here is staggering honestly. You'd think these guys were angels who were attacked for nothing. They weren't: they were arrogant ****s who thought they could **** on people's beliefs and nothing would happen to them. There's a case to be answered for responsibility, on their side and the side of everyone who masks racism, sexism or any other ism behind a cartoon. It's still an attack, if not a physical one, and it's a red rag to an already enraged bull.

Lee Rigby didn't stand in the street with a placard saying UP YOURS MOHAMMED! which is essentially what these guys did. That's the difference.
I just think points like these at least partially shift some of the blame towards 12 people who may not have been upstanding citizens, but in no way deserve to be dead. Their cartoons were crass, offensive, and lacked taste. But in the modern world we are allowed to create things that are crass and offensive.
That's why it becomes a question of free speech. If their art was of great value I think the discourse would be very different indeed, but the way it is complicates matters. The fact is as much as I think Islam is getting far too much hatred for the acts of a minority, is that society has modernised and left a lot of its followers behind.
James is offline   Reply With Quote