Music Banter - View Single Post - The French Massacre - Do We Stand Up For Free Speech?
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2015, 05:27 PM   #154 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Is it wrong that while expressing these opinions I am listening to some of the most beautiful music I have heard in a long time? Well, since "Hospice" anyway...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Benteke View Post
Ridiculous & boring, I said Islam, not Muslims.
You're just avoiding the issue now. Look back to the Crusades: if muslims said "Christians have it coming" would you agree? Generalisation is the worst type of argument. There are good and bad everywhere. You can't tar everyone with your brush just cos you don't like the colour of some of them. Or something.
Quote:

That's not calling them heroes mate.
No, it's MAKING them heroes, making them martyrs, which is bull****.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriphiel View Post
Common sense? Hold on a second... do you really think that these journalists didn't have common sense? Do you really think that they didn't know what they were doing, by criticizing one of the most dangerous groups on earth? Nuts to that. They knew exactly what they were doing. They were standing up to a group that routinely murders people, the only way they knew how; by using their talents as cartoonists/journalists. They put their lives on the line to show the world that people don't have to submit to bullies, and all you and Trollheart have to say is that they're foolish for having prodded the hypothetical hornet's nest?

Those hornets were going to sting people regardless of what anyone did. At least these journalists did what everyone else was too afraid to do, and took the first step in removing the nest. Terrorism groups should be shunned and held responsible for their actions.

Basically, our arguments come from our differing ideologies. I have nothing but sympathy for people who suffer simply for expressing themselves. You both obviously think that expression should have limits, which is reasonable. But as long as people don't abuse their right to express themselves by using it to hurt others, which these journalists didn't do, how can you be so cavalier about their deaths, heavily implying that they "had it coming"?
How did they stand up? By getting themselves killed? Great idea.
And please stop placing words in my mouth. I am not in the least cavalier about their deaths: I just think they need to be looked at in context. It was preventable, is what I'm saying. There's enough trouble in the world without stirring up more.

Let me ask you, all of you this: if this had been a Islamic hate rag who had posted pictures of say Jesus being ****ed by the devil, and a radical Christian group had killed them, where would your sympathies lie?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet_Sounds View Post
Has anyone posting in this thread actually read the Quran?

Please note, I'm not looking to get into an argument, just curious.
No, I have not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Benteke View Post
>>>>>>>>>>>

Went in.
Total oversimplification JWB. No wonder you broke your leg at the theatre, jumping to conclusions like that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
That's a different question (i.e. am I a coward?). Would I have the balls to do what they did? Questionable. I also don't know that I'd have the balls to take fire in Afghanistan. But I certainly support the bravery of people who do have those balls. Regardless if I have the balls to do what those magazine dudes are doing (or whether I agree with their specific agenda), I still support their integrity for standing up for what they believe in. They may or may not be racist pricks, but I will applaud them if they don't bow down to pressure from extremists and publish their next issue with the same intent and content as their last.
They didn't stand up for what they believe in. This is a myth being created around their "martyrdom". They were just poking the hornet's nest as they had done before. I'm sorry they were killed but there was no need for them to be.

Grindy, I did not ignore your post. Where did I? I'm writing reviews and getting dinner here. If I missed something sorry but it was not intentional.

And again, can anyone take up my point about the police? Does anyone have anything to say about their pointless deaths? Or are you all ignoring that cos you have no answer? This must be the fourth time I've challenged and nobody is coming back.