Music Banter - View Single Post - The French Massacre - Do We Stand Up For Free Speech?
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2015, 06:38 PM   #168 (permalink)
Oriphiel
Ask me how!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
I'd kind of like to get some women's perspective on my post, since I know rape is a touchy subject, and I'd like to know that I'm not stepping on any toes. I think my analogy was a good one, but it's kind of hard to tell the nitty gritty details as a man.
I took a few criminal justice classes in college, and we touched on the subject fairly often. Most rapes are committed by people who personally know the victim, and often take place in a familiar setting such as a house or apartment. And beyond that, it's also often more about psychological dominance than it is about sex, meaning that someone with the mindset of a rapist often doesn't care about the clothes you wear. So characterizing it as some spur-of-the-moment thing that generic thugs do at night is not even broadly accurate. Wearing revealing clothing doesn't magically make the men around you into a rapist; if someone rapes you, it's not your fault. It's not because of something you did. It's because the rapist needed a victim, and when someone with that kind of mentality looks for a victim, they would have found one even if you hadn't been there.
Oriphiel is offline   Reply With Quote