Music Banter - View Single Post - Is Burzum racist?
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2015, 02:12 PM   #70 (permalink)
Oriphiel
Ask me how!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briks View Post
I need sources, calling humanity a single race seems weird to me, aren't we a species?
If you're in a hurry, look no further than the wikipedia page: Race (human classification) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. It's a long read, but it goes into the contraversy over use of the word "race" as opposed to "sub-species". But the general consensus is that the word "race" has incorrectly become associated with drastic differences between groups of humanity, differences that simply do not exist. That is why most scientists prefer the term "sub-species". Though it seems to be a minor difference, it is actually quite impactful. To a layman, this seems like kind of a frivolous change, pandering to the times by switching to a synonym. However, to really understand the difference, you have to look into studies and the attitudes that scientists have in their classifications. It's an interesting topic, and obviously Wikipedia is just a start if you're interested in the subject.

To sum it up, you could say that the attitudes have changed more than the word-swapping initially reveals.
Oriphiel is offline   Reply With Quote