Music Banter - View Single Post - Last album you bought, downloaded or listened to
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2015, 06:29 PM   #22448 (permalink)
jackhammer
Ba and Be.

Lantlos - Melting Sun.
I think it's amazing how far Metal music has diversified in the last ten years or so and for the better IMO. Far from being a dyed in the wool neanderthal metalhead I look like, I don't constantly hanker for the old days and hate change (although I still love a great riff when I hear one) when I listen to an album and don't quite know where it is musically going I am pleasantly surprised and intrigued.

Of course if a band is going to dip into musical territories outside of Metal then I expect them to know what they are doing and be good at it instead of being merely different for the sake of it. Close ties with the mighty Alcest have been severed on this album but that hasn't hampered them at all. This album is a great big swirly tour de force of heavy riffs, exquisite atmosphere and pointed lamentation. In fact it's not really a Metal album; well it is but you could easily be into shoegaze and get off on it.

How ironic talking about how far Metal music has evolved to then proffer this one up. Big dirty riffs tinged with Hardcore Punk circa 80's, offensive and/or challenging lyrics, no bullsheet production (great for headphones) and great hooks. just damn great fun.

I have always found Ryan Adams hit or miss. The quiet introspection of some of his work has been too narcissistic at times but with this album he seems finally at ease with who he is and that is a great songwriter removing that chip on his shoulder. There is nothing on this album that is original or groundbreaking at all but what there is on here are a selection of damn good Rock tunes. It is unashamedly old fashioned and maybe even uncool but there is nothing better than just hearing a great Rock album with no bombast or histrionics. Perfect driving music although I don't drive!

Bought:
The Doors - L.A Woman
Bluesbreakers with John Mayall and Eric Clapton -S.T
Jean Michel Jarre - Oxygene
DJ Format - If You Can't Join Them... Beat Them.
Solstafir - Otto (Deluxe Edition)

More listening:
Creedence Clearwater Revival - First two albums.

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote