Music Banter - View Single Post - Spill Your Guts About MB Members' Tastes In Music
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2015, 09:30 PM   #233 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Urban Hat€monger ? I'm pretty sure I did one of these for him in the original version of this thread, but I'd like to do a follow up. For quite a few years I thought of Urban's taste as being mostly limited to awesome, obscure garage rock, punk, post-punk and hard rock. I don't know if it's because his tastes have evolved since I've been here or if it just took me a long time to get a fuller picture of him, but I'm constantly surprised by all the off-the-wall things he's into that don't at all fit in with my preconceptions of him.

The Batlord. By and large the pop music he likes is stuff I consider pretty awful and he can even be a bit spotty in his home turf of metal. However, this guy has made some pretty convincing cases for some metal I thought was cheesy and won me over to some extent, and when he's on in terms of metal he's certainly hip to some really great stuff.

Goofle. At times, the poppier end of tastes are things that really don't do it for me, but overall he's a great source of music I've never heard that is at the very least worth a listen and frequently fantastic stuff.

Frownland. He's not the first resident John Zorn/Sun Ra/Captain Beefheart/John Cage type guy we've had around here, but he's the only one with broad enough tastes to also talk about hip hop and hard rock. Like Goofle, everything he mentions is, at the very least, worth a listen.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote