Music Banter - View Single Post - The French Massacre - Do We Stand Up For Free Speech?
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2015, 06:36 AM   #219 (permalink)
Oriphiel
Ask me how!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wilkes Booth View Post
i didn't miss your point, your point was that two diametrically opposed views are both right. your point is both boring and silly to me.
You know what's silly? Saying that anyone who disagrees with your sentiments should be deported, which you just said to Unknown Soldier. How can you say things like that with a straight face?

Anyway, if you read my post again, you'll see that both parties in this argument have grains of the truth to their sentiments. You are right in saying that people will inevitably stand up against terrorists, and that we have the right to combat them. But Unknown Soldier is correct in saying that things could have been handled in a better fashion. And yet the truth is that no matter how things turned out, or who criticized the terrorists and over what, things would have almost certainly turned out poorly, because the state of affairs is so chaotic right now. Now stop being such a combative and uncompromising child, or we'll have to elect you as a politician.

Here is my original post, which I still stand by:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriphiel View Post
Have you guys ever stopped to consider than none of you are "wrong"? It's important to show caution when dealing with violent maniacs, and while the deaths of these journalists was a horrible and tragic event, it isn't unreasonable to believe that they could have taken more steps to protect themselves. But at the same time, people will always feel obligated to stand up against those who terrorize others, so it was inevitable that someone would call the terrorists out for their actions.

At the same time, there was really no way for these journalists to have prevented the bloodshed afterwards. Terrorists are infamous for killing random civilians to send a message, and if they found that the journalists were protected round-the-clock by cops, they would have just blown up a bus of civilians who had nothing to do with the event and sent a press release afterwards.

Basically, it's a horrible set of circumstances with no easy answer.
Before I go, I have one more thing to say. If you choose to respond to this with some petty insult that only shows that you never actually read my post, like "lol you're a fence-sitter" or "this is just silly", then you shouldn't expect any meaningful dialogue between us to take place. That's like randomly setting a fire in your house, and then complaining when it starts burning all of your stuff up.

Last edited by Oriphiel; 01-12-2015 at 06:43 AM.
Oriphiel is offline   Reply With Quote