Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Music Opinions
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2015, 11:59 AM   #10259 (permalink)
blackdragon123
don't be no bojangles

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
I can get where you're coming from, as I think Maiden built on that proto-speed metal part of Priest's sound and developed it beyond what they had previously, but Priest were the ultimate metalhead's metal band (Manowar being too much of a self-parody to appeal to all but the most unself-aware headbangers). They perfected the schtick, created the sound template of what metal would become forever after, and were better able than 99% of other bands at shifting their sound without losing quality. Black Sabbath might have created metal, but the real zero hour for metal's evolution has to be the arrival of Priest.
I understand your point, and I'll admit that I haven't listened to too much Priest, my original intention was only to appear minutely controversial, because my dislike of Priest isn't something I feel that passionate about. My grief with them is not actually that I feel they receive an unfair amount of hype and credit without earning it, it's more of a personal dislike of their overall sound. I naturally assumed I would like them as I instantly took a liking to Sabbath and Maiden when I heard them, and I know it's not always fair to compare the same bands. My statement should really have been a question, like 'Unpopular Music Questions'. I would ask, when taken out of the context of being the creators of the metal 'sound template', why are they enjoyable to listen to? They sound to me a bit like a pub band, and Halford's voice consistently sounds like it's about to fail. Perhaps I've only heard bad songs or bad live recordings, but I will stand by my unpopular opinion. (But will refrain from a full-on discussion until I've given their discography more of a chance).

'Now get the asterisk percent ampersand out of here you SOB....what's a SOB?' - Peter Griffin
When the copper fades away!'
- Jethro Tull
blackdragon123 is offline   Reply With Quote