Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Music Opinions
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2015, 12:34 PM   #10260 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon123 View Post
I understand your point, and I'll admit that I haven't listened to too much Priest, my original intention was only to appear minutely controversial, because my dislike of Priest isn't something I feel that passionate about. My grief with them is not actually that I feel they receive an unfair amount of hype and credit without earning it, it's more of a personal dislike of their overall sound. I naturally assumed I would like them as I instantly took a liking to Sabbath and Maiden when I heard them, and I know it's not always fair to compare the same bands. My statement should really have been a question, like 'Unpopular Music Questions'. I would ask, when taken out of the context of being the creators of the metal 'sound template', why are they enjoyable to listen to? They sound to me a bit like a pub band, and Halford's voice consistently sounds like it's about to fail. Perhaps I've only heard bad songs or bad live recordings, but I will stand by my unpopular opinion. (But will refrain from a full-on discussion until I've given their discography more of a chance).

'Now get the asterisk percent ampersand out of here you SOB....what's a SOB?' - Peter Griffin
Halford's voice is definitely not "about to fail". I've actually heard it said that out of all metal vocalists, his might be the only one that could make it in opera. My uncle, who's a a guitar tech head with a major hard on for Ynwgie Malmsteen loves to wax worshipful about his "sustain".

Just listen to what his voice can do on this song, and remember, he isn't screaming. His voice can just do this.

There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote