Music Banter - View Single Post - Got Feminism?
Thread: Got Feminism?
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2015, 06:35 PM   #598 (permalink)
Xurtio
Brain Licker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwnWthVwls View Post
Nope, nope, and nope. That is totally dependent on what you're discussing. How can you claim that and then dispute it in the following few sentences?
I didn't dispute it. I demonstrated that it's more complicated than just saying men have it easy always forever in every way. As I said, there are different
"domains" (which is equivalent to your "totally dependent on what you're discussing") and I wanted to raise the exceptions to the tendency for cultures to adopt 2).

The tendency (patriarchy) is already well established in classical feminist literature. Our society is largely run by males. They are the majority of law enforcers, law designers, doctors. So health and law, even pertaining to women, is decided on by men. It's not a big, evil conspiracy, it's just a matter of consequence: when a minority is not well represented in the administrative process, needs that pertain specifically to them aren't met as well as they are for the majority class.

Also, regardless of any cold facts or laws, the way we treat women historically in all societies has had a pretty poor history. In the west, we do better than most, but the source of all these tendencies are somewhat biological and intrinsic and we have to overcome those natural tendencies if we want to progress as a society.