Music Banter - View Single Post - Got Feminism?
Thread: Got Feminism?
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2015, 06:57 PM   #599 (permalink)
WWWP
county fair energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wilkes Booth View Post
here's my basic stance. feel free to tear it apart, but you know i will probably have some **** to say back so yea. fair warning.

i support the general idea of equal rights and i do think that generally speaking women get the short end of the stick. i think the whole patriarchy concept does make sense and most of the examples of men getting the short end of the stick are a result of a) modern attempts to correct the historical injustice women have faced or b) generally having lower expectations of women than we do of men because of the sexist notion that women are less capable than men in general.

however i do think there is something to 'gender roles' that goes deeper than just cultural norms. i think the basic mating strategy that humans have adopted has gender roles built right into it. i can expand on that if need be but i'll leave it at that for now. long story short i think the "man works, woman tends to the kids" arrangement has a pretty sound biological basis to it and so the modern attempt to sort of transcend that dynamic is probably well-meaning but it is a lot trickier than i think a lot of progressives and feminists want to admit.

i don't call myself a feminist partially because of the image that feminists have in our society. basically they come across as whiney and annoying for the most part. i think part of that is a backlash against their ideals but another part of it is the fact that the movement is actually full of loud mouthed twats who look for any excuse to bitch and complain about every little thing.

plus, they hate a lot of the stuff i love. they hate hemingway cause he's 'sexist and homophobic.' i like hemingway cause his books are enjoyable to me. they hate misogynistic rap music cause it demeans women. i like misogynistic rap music because it's fun to listen to. they want language and art to be non-offensive and to make them and other minorities feel comfortable. i want them to man up and grow some thicker skin. basically i feel uncomfortable in the kind of PC world they want to create and they feel uncomfortable in my world. so even though i do think women should be paid a fair wage and **** like that, i can't be a feminist cause it just goes against my nature.
This had me nodding in agreement throughout. While I may disagree on some specifics I generally subscribe to your point of view.
WWWP is offline   Reply With Quote