Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart takes on "1001 Albums you must hear before you die"
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2015, 05:33 AM   #68 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Album title: Cee-Lo Green... is the soul machine
Artiste: Cee-Lo Green
Year: 2004
Nationality: American
Chronology: Second album
Previous experience of this artiste, if any: Zero
Am I glad I heard this album before I died? Sort of. It was interesting to hear it at least. Now I know what he sounds like and it was different to what I had expected.
Tracklisting: Intro/ Soul machine/ The art of noise/ Living again/ I'll be around/ The one/ My kind of people/ Childz play/ I am selling soul/ All day love affair/ Evening newz/ Scrap metal/ Glockapella/ When we were friends/ Sometimes/ Let's stay together/ Die trying/ What don't you do?
Introduction: After my surprisingly pleasant experience with The Streets, I'm ready to give Mr. Green a chance...
Comments: Wiki says this is “hardcore hip-hop”, but I hear more soul, like seventies soul, brother! Lots of brass, upbeat piano, little in the way of questionable lyrics, no anger or much in the way of boasting despite the title of the album. Well actually there is a little. I'm not a fan of it though I don't hate it. It was better than I had been expecting. Some tracks I definitely enjoyed but on balance it doesn't do too much for me, and I can't see myself listening to it, or anything else by him, again. Interesting and entertaining.
Favourite track(s): Soul machine, The art of noise, I am selling soul, Scrap metal, Glockapella, Sometimes, Let's stay together, Die trying
Least favourite track(s): I'll be around, Childz play
My impression: Sort of meh really again. Well no, it was okay, but again I wouldn't be actively seeking out his music.
Rating: