Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart takes on "1001 Albums you must hear before you die"
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2015, 04:56 PM   #80 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Album title: The college dropout
Artiste: Kanye West
Year: 2004
Nationality: American
Genre: Hip-hop
Chronology: Debut album
Previous experience of this artiste, if any: Zero
Am I glad I heard this album before I died? You know, I am. It's changed my mind, slightly, about rap and hip-hop. (Creaking sound as Trollheart's rusty mind screeches open...)
Tracklisting: Intro/We don't care/Graduation Day/ All falls down/ I'll fly away/Spaceship/Jesus walks/Never let me down/ Get 'em high/ Workout plan/ The new workout plan/ Slow jamz/ Breathe in breathe out/ School spirit (skit 1)/ School spirit/ School spirit (skit 2), Lil' Jimmy, Two words/ Through the wire/ Family business/ Last call
Introduction: One of the high-profile rappers, it'll come as no surprise to anyone that I have never even heard one of his songs.
Comments: Nice soul vibe to the album, good backing vocals and it's not the “hard” hip-hop that I keep expecting. So far, though it's never really music I'd expect or intend to be into, my adventures in hip-hop (MIA excepted) have not been as harrowing as I had expected. The music here is pretty good but with 21 tracks there's a lot to get through. Thankfully many of these are short spoken intros or bridging tracks. It's actually not too bad surprisingly. I like his sense of humour, though whether he's serious about encouraging people not to go to college, or is just taking a swipe at people who avoid getting into the real world by over-attendance at same, is unclear. The music is pretty good and there's no questioning his skill as a rapper. Pretty enjoyable, although some tracks didn't do it for me. Still, with so many, I'm surprised it went as fast and as painlessly as it did.
Favourite track(s): We don't care, I'll fly away, Spaceship, Never let me down, School Spirit, Through the wire, Last call, Family business
Least favourite track(s): Workout plan, The new workout plan, Slow jamz
My impression: A lot better than I had expected. I quite enjoyed it. Someone help that man up off the floor!
Rating:

Last edited by Trollheart; 02-02-2015 at 10:02 AM.
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote