Music Banter - View Single Post - Do you need a label to be successful in the music industry ?
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2015, 11:05 AM   #12 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therewasmethatisscott View Post
The thing I do not understand about labels and record companies is, well, i know they should still exist, but it seems like they were more useful back in the day when you needed to record in a studio and they only had records. Now they have .mp3s so i don't understand why most people don't just do everything themselves? I can record decent quality on an 100 dollar tablet that almost soudns studio!
Advertising is certainly important, but even as far as indie labels go, they need to make deals with the major labels as far as distribution goes. CDs may or may not be on their way out, but it's still the case that if your basement label can't get your music in the stores, or send it anywhere outside of the local area, then all you've got is a few sites that are already being flooded with countless bands also vying for attention, and little way to compete for the listeners' attention besides word of mouth. And I imagine with so many groups on the same sites, word of mouth for non-established acts is even harder to come by than it was before the internet.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote