Music Banter - View Single Post - Oscar Nominations / Predictions
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2015, 09:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
Exo
All day jazz and biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josef K View Post
So could someone explain to me what distinguishes one sound mixing team versus any other? Like in what way do I enjoy the movie more if the sound mixing is excellent as opposed to competent?
To me it's all about immersion. Usually you get really noticeable sound design in action movies. Fury is a good example. There was so much gun fire and tank sounds during the entire movie. The team makes those sounds happen in production. It's as much as an art as special effects is because most of those sounds aren't happening on set. You're not going to notice it much during dramas or basically anything talky. There's just not much to do when the main focus is coming out of the characters mouths.

There are some gems though that aren't action. Wall-E for example is one of the best films to watch for sound. Half the film has no dialogue so the sound team was responsible for every creak and whistle from the robots. In a way, the sound told the story.

This may be on the action side but The Hunt For Red October was also fantastic to listen to.

SUPREME POO BAH MODERATOR EXTRAORDINAIRE
Exo is offline   Reply With Quote