Music Banter - View Single Post - 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die- Music Banter Edition
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2015, 02:09 PM   #293 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

138. David Holmes - Bow Down To The Exit Sign : 2000

It totally astonishes me that this album is still pretty much a well kept secret among those who have heard it.
Belfast DJ David Holmes creates a soundtrack to a movie inside his head crossing many genres from Hip Hop to Rock to Electronica to Soul. With cameo appearances from Blues Explosions Jon Spencer, Primal Scream's Bobby Gillespie & former Tricky backing vocalist Martina Topley Bird shortly before she went solo.
This album was a statement from intent by Holmes to move into the world of movie soundtracks, something he did end up doing after this album scoring many big name Hollywood blockbusters.
If you've not heard it find it now.

137. Linton Kwesi Johnson - Forces Of Victory : 1979

I wasn't really a fan of Reggae, and then I heard this.
This is the kind of Reggae I want to hear, uncompromising, political and right up in your face. It also boasts some great musicality to it, something far more than you'd get on your typical Reggae album.
There's something really special about this and it was even noticeable to me as a total Reggae novice.

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote