Music Banter - View Single Post - 1001 Metal Albums you should hear before you die
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2015, 10:24 AM   #35 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

16. Sunn O))) ---- Black One ---- (2005)

As Trollheart bobs his head to the more traditional metal albums, I sit my room with the windows boarded up in complete darkness save for two glimmering candles. By candlelight I bring a goat to the altar and raise the ax for sacrifice as the moon grows closer and closer to eclipse. But first, I need a soundtrack.

Black One is a finger-licking evil album that assaults the listener with heavy drones, experimental percussion, and the cries of the tortured. Other albums from the group experimented with tossing in black metal into the mix, but their best attempt at this is in Black One. At points the gloomy and disturbing music produces a somewhat serene and blissful passage before falling into brooding drones once again. This is a must for every metal fan imo. I would almost go as far to say that it's a must for every music fan.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote