Music Banter - View Single Post - 1001 Metal Albums you should hear before you die
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2015, 10:26 AM   #36 (permalink)
Dylstew
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Just a word about why these threads are being made, as some people seem to think them unnecessary.

Consider someone coming new to MB and not knowing anything about metal/prog/punk (there's now one for punk apparently) and wanting to try it out. Wouldn't it be a fine reference source to have, that they could check this list and see what we all think the definitive metal/prog/punk albums are? In addition to providing recs for people I feel this could be a good resource (perhaps stickied hint hint) that people could refer to.

That's why I started these threads.

Yes, the generic 1001 albums thread is good, but do you really want to, as a prospective fan of either subgenre, trawl through a load of albums that may not interest you until you get to the ones that do? So having separate genre/subgenre lists I think is a good thing to do.

And so that's my thinking behind the creation of these threads. If nobody or only a few people participate I don't mind: I'll keep adding albums because I want to build this up into a list people can turn to when they are looking for the sort of albums they should try out when checking out these subgenres.

And now, back to the list...
Yeah, I started thinking about it and made one about punk. I take my statement about how it's necessary back, it's pretty nice to have these.
Dylstew is offline   Reply With Quote