Music Banter - View Single Post - help me get into metal
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2015, 07:51 AM   #37 (permalink)
John Wilkes Booth
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythsofmetal View Post
I think it might help me if you could try to explain further what about the vocals in metal bothers you.

For example is it something about too much over-the-top virtuosity in the vocals like too operatic/cheesy in that sense?

Are the lyrics playing a larger part in making them sound cheesy to you?

I was a little bit surprised in how you seem to like the harsh vocals in Rotting Christ's, and Sigh's songs, (or at least tolerated them better) compared to Persuader's more melodic approach. I guess I thought you would prefer Persuader's vocals as you seemed to express a dislike with the Death/Black Metal vocals, so I thought Persuader's Power Metal style would sound better to you, or maybe it's just the way Persuader's vocalist specifically sung on that song?

Anyways here's another song with what I'd call Power Metal vocals, that I think you may like.

Here's a song you may like, I'm a bit more unsure but hopeful with this one. It has harsh Black Metal like vocals.

I've mostly chosen these two songs to kinda try to get a better picture of what you dislike about various metal styles' vocals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wilkes Booth View Post
i quite enjoyed the second track.... the first one i dunno, was a bit drawn out for me i think. honestly it's like i can't really get into whatever melody they're going for. it sorta reminds me of jazz the first time i heard it...
on a secodn listen i actually enjoyed the first song, tbh. i was drunk as hell but i am gonna give it another go right now and see what i think.

the second track is probably my favorite one posted in this thread thus far. it gets me pretty hyped which is the sort of feeling i like to get from music these days.

btw i appreciate everyone's help who is postsing in this thread. i will try to respond to each suggestion in due time. it might take me a bit longer to get to some than others (for example wpnfire posted a bunch of tracks so it will take me a bit longer to get around to responding to him, but hopefully i'll get there eventually.

once i feel like i've got a decent grasp on the kind of tracks i like i'll start asking for album suggestions. but i'm not quite there yet.
John Wilkes Booth is offline   Reply With Quote