Music Banter - View Single Post - The French Massacre - Do We Stand Up For Free Speech?
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2015, 02:54 PM   #508 (permalink)
John Wilkes Booth
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Where's my rating, bitch? Otherwise I'll probably get skipped.
are you talking to me? i have no idea what you mean tbh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
A lot of the suicide bombers are not doing if "for the cause" but instead "for the rewards" - the whole 72 virgins and all. A lot of those kids aren't intelligent or educated enough to even understand what the hell the cause is really all about.
i can't say i agree with that. that's a bit simplistic, tbh. there are many incentives for becoming a martyr. winning the favor of allah is one. getting resources for your family is another (many terrorist groups pay the families of suicide bombers a reward). but dedication to the cause/getting a chance to strike the enemy is certainly another strong motivator as well. and also i wasn't referring strictly to suicide bombers in my post, but extremists in general. there are plenty of jihadists that aren't suicide bombers. and if you look at some of the more prominent figures - bin laden, al zawahiri, sayyid qutb, etc - they are often relatively wealthy and well educated men, even prior to becoming involved in islamic terror / extremism. it's a popular liberal talking point to doubt the sincerity of the beliefs of extremists because it naturally makes us uncomfortable to think there are people out there who really think this way. it makes us feel a lot better to think they are all either cynical manipulators who are misleading the disenfranchised for power, or oppressed pawns being manipulated by said cynics. unfortunately, the reality of the situation isn't that simple, imo.
John Wilkes Booth is offline   Reply With Quote