Music Banter - View Single Post - Trigger Warnings
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2015, 10:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
EPOCH6
V8s & 12 Bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwnWthVwls View Post
If you can't handle the subject matter you're learning for your major maybe you shouldn't be in that field of study.
Right, I think this is the major point to be made.

I don't think trigger warnings themselves are anything to get steamed up over. As JWB said, it's not a whole lot different than an EXPLICIT CONTENT sticker. But I certainly don't believe explicit content should actually be filtered out of the curriculum, it's much more practical to simply advise caution. Or better yet, could we not just focus on providing a clearer understanding of curriculum prior to student enrollment? Why does it even get to the point where halfway through a course you have to remind students, "Oh yeah, in case you weren't expecting to see anything about this in English Literature, today we're going to be analyzing something with serious mature content!". I suppose students ought to have the option to opt out of something that may be traumatic, who are we to force them into it? But ****, you don't learn to cope with the past by shielding yourself from reality, sometimes you gotta roll with the punches to get through things.
There's 3 reason why the Rolling Stones are better. I'm going to list them here. 1. Jimi Hendrix from Rolling Stones was a better guitarist then Jimmy Page 2. The bassist from Rolling Stones isn't dead 3. Rolling Stobes wrote Stairway to Heaven and The Ocean so we all know they are superior here.
EPOCH6 is offline   Reply With Quote