Music Banter - View Single Post - Trigger Warnings
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2015, 05:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
John Wilkes Booth
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwnWthVwls View Post
TBH it's not and most of us in class said we don't have a problem with the idea of including them. The problem is how they are starting to hinder academia, and how you balance them. Oberlin was the first college to start doing it and according to them teachers were asked to take any possible triggers out of their lectures unless they were absolutely necessary to the lecture. Look at the list of trigger warnings and think about how useless a lot of subjects would be without them.

So you're teaching a class on english lit which includes Huck Finn and half the class is offended by "Nigger Jim", now they don't have to do the work, and yet they are getting credit for the course? The point of college is to challenge and educate you. If you can't handle the subject matter you're learning for your major maybe you shouldn't be in that field of study.
yea, like i said i was in a rush so i skimmed the article. didn't realize we were talking about censoring an actual class for PC's sake. that honestly makes me sick.
John Wilkes Booth is offline   Reply With Quote