Music Banter - View Single Post - The Scrap Heap
Thread: The Scrap Heap
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2015, 08:21 PM   #85 (permalink)
Pet_Sounds
Remember the underscore

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is like an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.

- Mahatma Gandhi

· · ·

Pet_Sounds' Top 50 Beatles Songs
#47: Let It Be

When I finished this list about a month ago, the placement of three songs struck me as particularly controversial. They're tunes that are almost always in the top twenty, or even ten. However, two of them aren't even on my list, and the third is barely slipping in at #47.

You all know the story: While the Beatles' inevitable schism was drawing near, Paul McCartney dreamt of his deceased mother, Marie, and ended up writing a song about it. "Let It Be" has gone on to become one of the fans' favourite Beatles songs, second only to "Hey Jude".

But I don't think it deserved to be a title track, or even an A-side. As lovely as its message of peace is, there's something… lacking. It's altogether too saintly for me to rank it higher.

Make no mistake, "Let It Be" is still an exceptional song. It has brought me comfort in times of trouble. When Ringo's drums come in, I get chills. Billy Preston's organ is pretty cool too.

And let's be honest, George nailed the solo.

Spoiler for YouTube: