Music Banter - View Single Post - Drink driving
Thread: Drink driving
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2015, 05:53 PM   #64 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wilkes Booth View Post
i don't think the arranged vs not arranged distinction is really all that important. i can see your point to an extent, but all in all the fact that you didn't mean to get tired doesn't make it any less dangerous.
No, I didn't say it was. I just said that with drinking there's a higher probability of you having an accident, and just like being tired, you can rest and wait (or stay over/get a lift/whatever) with drink you can do the same. I must admit though, I have yet to hear of an accident caused by someone who was tired. The difference may be that you will REALISE you're tired, stop and do something about it, even if it's only sleeping in your car for a few hours (says he who does not and never has driven), but if you realise you're drunk or affected by drink the same idea does not seem to apply. Nobody says "I better book into a hotel because I'm too drunk to drive" ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet_Sounds View Post
They're OK. I actually saw a cop talking on her cell phone while driving yesterday, believe it or not. It didn't look like a police radio.…
Don't you know cops are above the law?
Quote:
i remember hearing something about how it's actually no less dangerous to use bluetooth than it is to just talk on the phone. seems counter intuitive. could be incorrect too, i dunno. but it was something along the lines of the distraction from the convo is what makes it dangerous, not necessarily having to hold the phone.
You're right there: just talking on the phone, even with a handsfree (which is legal here) is dangerous. It is indeed the attention you divert from your driving that is the killer, sometimes literally. But holding the phone just gives you one less hand to steer with and one more thing to juggle in your brain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninetales View Post
yeah its not an excuse. im not talking about getting drunk tho. a couple beers during dinner and watching sports =/= drunk. I don't think having one beer is a big deal, for me atleast, as I don't think it hinders driving skills in any discernible way ie I don't get tipsy or anything. I know my own personal limits and if ever I was worried that I was incapable of driving I would not do so. even if I was drunk.
Yeah but I still think you're no judge of how drink will affect you. If you have a drink then you should not drive. It should be that simple. Again, says he who never drives....
Quote:
i really get the vibe from some people in this thread that they regard alcohol with an almost mystic level of distrust
Not alcohol. Some (not all) people who abuse it. Guns don't kill people etc...
Quote:
thread related: i will be attending a catholic church that serves real wine as part of communion tomorrow. i really hope i can find a designated driver so that i won't be in danger of plowing into a farmer's market
Well if you do, be happy that you will be doing God's work.