Music Banter - View Single Post - Drink driving
Thread: Drink driving
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2015, 07:26 PM   #68 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Your attitude is the problem, and I don't mean that in an antagonistic way, but people who say "Oh I can drive, I'm fine, I only had one beer" are missing the point. I'd love to see some statistics of accidents that have been caused by people who "just had one beer". You're not alone, not by a long way: most people I worked with would "chance it". But once you're under the influence you are susceptible, and I just personally think you should not be chancing it.

Easy for me to say, yes, as I don't drink, but I bet a lot of people who caused accidents thought they were okay to drink. Admittedly, there are those who get behind the wheel stinking drunk, but I wouldn't be surprised to find that it's those who are only slightly above the limit who get into accidents. I would try to look it up but I'm way too busy and I don't want to start an argument here, or at least a bigger one. I just feel drink driving should be a zero tolerance thing: you don't know what's going to happen any more than I do, so why take the risk?

@JWB I don't behead people either but I see it on the news. What does your comment prove? The news is stuffed with stories about lives wiped out by people who were drunk or over the limit. Admittedly, speeding also plays a part but this is often allied to drink driving. How can you say I've nothing to go on? The stats are there from the road safety associations: it's not like it's a disputed idea. It happens, all the time. Just because I don't drink does not mean I can't believe what I see in the news. If you saw the wrecks of cars and the funerals we've had to watch here in Ireland (and I'm sure it's the same where you are) you might think twice about dismissing the idea, or saying it's only something a person who drinks can comment on, which I think is possibly one of the least intelligent things you've said on this forum. I don't need to drink to know that drinking and driving don't mix. It's pure common sense.