Music Banter - View Single Post - Best Year for Music Tournament
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2015, 06:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Josef K
A Jew on a motorbike!

Default Best Year for Music Tournament

I'm shamelessly taking this idea from another forum I'm on (which many of you are on also?), because it's a fun thing that we can do. Mods please move if this should be in the subforum that has "games" in the title - I figured that, like all the survivor threads, it belonged in the music forums because it deals with music.

Anyway, the game is pretty simple. Each person claims a year - by doing so, you gain access to all the releases from that year (if there's a question about what year something came out, we'll default to what RYM says). We have a tournament of head-to-head year-vs-year matchups (if the mods don't want me clogging the forum with poll threads we can do it through an external poll site and I can post links in one core thread), but the thing that actually makes it about the person whose year it is and not just the year itself is that for each match, you have to pick a team of four albums/EPs and four singles (I'd consider counting EPs with singles if people want that, but if nobody cares I'll keep it as is). For the first few rounds, there can be no overlap between these teams - i.e. if you have 1965 and you pick Otis Blue for your match against the guy who has 1997, you can't pick it again for your next match against the guy who has 1988. In later rounds, you'll get bigger teams and you'll be allowed to reuse some releases; in the final, you'll be able to pick whatever releases you want and your teams will be (tentatively) 10 albums and 10 singles.

I would go into more detail about how the bracket will be structured and the specific rules for each round, but that will depend on how much interest there is, so I'm just going to open the thread to claims and questions. Pick any year from 1956 through 2014 - you can go earlier if you feel really strongly about it, but I'd rather you not; similarly, you can pick 2015, I guess, but there's no way the bench is going to be deep enough to carry you through the whole tournament. If not enough people are interested, I'll let you each have two years instead of one, so when you claim, put down a second choice for year as well. Year assignments are going to be entirely first-come-first-serve, with the caveat that a later poster's first choice takes precedence over an earlier poster's second choice if I do allow two years per person.

I hope you people think this is a good idea!

Years Claimed (to be edited as years are claimed)
1966 - DriveYourCarDownToTheSea
1967 - Pet_Sounds
1971 - Neapolitan
1973 - Rexx Shredd
1977 - YorkeDaddy
1979 - Janszoon
1981 - Frownland
1993 - Goofle
1994 - Mondo Bungle
1997 - Josef K
2002 - Norg
2006 - Charlemagne
2007 - JennyOndioline
2010 - James
2012 - Ki
2013 - Machine

Last edited by Josef K; 01-29-2015 at 04:45 AM.
Josef K is offline   Reply With Quote