Music Banter - View Single Post - Urban's Journal Of Half Assed Ideas
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2015, 10:46 AM   #352 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

The Best 200 Albums I've Never Heard According To The NME

While I was searching around for various things to do I came across two lists written by the NME in 2011 & 2012 featuring 100 of the best albums I've never heard. As I genuinely found a lot of stuff on these lists obscure I figured it might be a good idea to check a lot of these albums out. Because some of these albums are proving difficult to get hold of I won't be doing this in any order other than at random. From what I can tell the original lists were not done in any sort of order either. So onto the first album

Artist: Clor
Album: Clor
Label: Regal
Year: 2005
Genre: Synthpop

Clor were originally from Brixton and released this, their one and only album back in 2005 before splitting up. I don't ever recall hearing about them at the time. From what I can gather the album had some critical success in some areas but that didn't translate into sales. It also seems to have only been released in the UK too.
At first it begins to sound like your typical mid 2000s dance punk album dripping in 80s synthpop revival. The opening of tracks sound like they could be done by The Rapture, The Faint, Radio 4 or any of those bands from the time.But just when you think you know what to expect from this album they swap it all around on you.
Love + Pain which I gather was their first single is a fantastic little pop song. Hearts On Fire is another great song that emits memories of early 80s Vince Clarke era Depeche Mode.
Things switch again for the next two songs Gifted almost sounds like a Pavement ballad and Stuck In A Tight Spot is pure 90s alternative with it's quiet/loud/quiet/loud dynamic with vocalist Barry Dobbin sounding equal parts Steven Malkmus and Wayne Coyne.
Dangerzone is another highlight and this is pure 80s synthpop and the band doesn't even attempt to hide it. My favourite song on the entire album is Magic Touch which is just a blatant rip off of Prince's Dirty Mind era stuff. It sounds corny as hell but it works, hell they even copy his guitar histrionics in the middle of the song. Making You All Mine and Garden of Love bring you towards the end of the album and whatever they lack in originality they more than make up in bouncy enthusiasm and carry you to the final track Goodbye. At first this track begins to sound like some sappy Spandau Ballet ballad but thankfully it never gets that bad and is a nice mellow (Yet strange) way to finish the album off. And I guess given that this was their only album by Clor, rather a fitting end in the circumstances.

Verdict: I was a bit dubious of this album when I first came across it. Mainly because this genre was done to death in the mid 00's and the NME seemed to think most of that stuff was the greatest thing ever at the time. But this album had moments that made it stand out from all the others. Rather than being one generic mish-mash of influences they actually take each influence and do something with it meaning you don't get 11 songs that all sound the same. I liked this album a lot and at least 4 or 5 of the songs are keepers. If this is a good representation of what's on these lists then I can't wait to hear more.

Songs To Hear: Love + Pain, Hearts On Fire, Magic Touch

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.

Last edited by Urban Hat€monger ?; 01-30-2015 at 04:16 PM.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote