Music Banter - View Single Post - Drink driving
Thread: Drink driving
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2015, 07:21 PM   #144 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I'm just fascinated by those differences. I wasn't pointing it out as a negative thing or anything like that.
I know. It's just annoying that so many people are focussing on this, when it's not a mistake or anything. They seem unable to accept that we do things differently over here. Their jibes and jeers are starting to get annoying... cut it out guys. Please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
Don't forget truck versus lori. The first time I heard the word was in a Rock doc about The Beatles. George Harrison was talking about his Gretsch Duo Jet getting damaged when it was hit by a lori. I thought he meant a lori like a lorikeet.

edit: I thought it was spelt 'automobiles'?
It is of course "lorry", and we have both here. After all, you can't really say you're a Lorryer, can you? Most of the time we use truck, but you will have those who say "Look at that lorry" or "I was stuck behind this lorry", and the phrase sounds better when you say "it fell off the back of a lorry" than a truck. Also there's the band Red Lorry Yellow Lorry.

And yes, I know I misspelt it. The pettiness about drink driving here was getting to me and I said **** it let it stand.