Music Banter - View Single Post - Metal Album Survivor [1st Wave Black Metal Division]
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2015, 06:30 AM   #194 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Well there was another tie, but with Rust In Piece's previous votes it looks like Megadeth is gonna really start rusting.

Final Thrash Battle Round!

2. Metallica - Master of Puppets
1. Slayer - Reign In Blood

Vote 1 off. Vote ends January 29. Winner shall be crowned the greatest thrash album of all time, and go on to represent its genre when it's time for the Final Metal Battle when all sub-genre battles are complete. I'll list sub-genre battle winners in the OP, and remove the specifics of the genre battle for the losers to keep the OP from getting cluttered.

At one point, this would have been more of a challenge, but these days it's a relatively easy choice. Master of Puppets has a more balanced collection of songs, more accomplished writing, and a more solid track order, but Reign In Blood is just the thrash Bible, and even though Rick Rubin's production takes away a lot of Slayer's former evilness, it's kept the album's sound contemporary even today. So...

Edit: It's been a while since I really listened to MoP at the correct volume, and I'd forgotten just how brutal James Hetfield's rhythm guitar is, so I'm changing my vote...

Reign In Blood

Also, next up is the trad metal battle. I think my album list is pretty solid, so unless anybody has any albums that I have clearly left off, I consider it definitive. I'll be open to taking off Blizzard of Ozz, but its stature still makes it worthy of inclusion, even if it doesn't get quite the respect on this site as in other places.

Anyone who would rather use different albums for certain bands (i.e. Saxon, Judas Priest, or Accept) feel free to comment, as I've just gone with either their more critically acclaimed albums, or made a judgement call when there wasn't a definitive consensus on their best album. Personal judgement, or differences of opinion on what is objectively considered their best album by the metal public will be listened to.

Trad metal battle will be as follows (DO NOT VOTE FOR THIS BATTLE YET!!!) ...

Spoiler for Trad Metal Battle:
Trad Metal

1. Iron Maiden - Powerslave
2. Judas Priest - Screaming for Vengeance (some may prefer 70s Priest, but I've decided to separate 70s and 80s Priest to include them in Proto-Metal)
3. Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell
4. Diamond Head - Lightning to the Nations
5. Saxon - Wheels of Steel
6. Scorpions - Blackout
7. Motorhead - Ace of Spades
8. Dio - Holy Diver
9. Accept - Balls to the Wall
10. Mercyful Fate - Don't Break the Oath
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.

Last edited by The Batlord; 01-28-2015 at 01:35 AM.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote