Music Banter - View Single Post - Last album you bought, downloaded or listened to
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2015, 04:19 PM   #22631 (permalink)
sidewinder
Engorged Member

Disappears - Irreal (2015)
I feel like I hardly gave their last one a chance, maybe I just wasn't impressed after the great Pre Language. I don't know if I like this one better than Era, but at least I didn't have the same expectations. I liked it, need to play again.

Silver Firs - EP#2 (2014)
A Swiss band I had on my list of bands to watch for, but with no note as to why. I looked up some members and don't see any connection to other bands I know, so I have no idea why. Either way, this EP was interesting but hasn't left an impression on me after just one listen. I also checked out their 2012 s/t LP but had it mostly at low volume in the car with my g/f while chatting, so again not much of an impression. Seems like it's worth a revisit though.

Aphex Twin - Computer Controlled Acoustic Instruments pt2 [EP] (2014)
Sounds like Aphex Twin playing around with live drums and piano, with minimal synth sounds (not minimal as in the style, but minimal as in not primary). I like that it sounds different from past Aphex Twin releases, but it sounds like experimenting and not necessarily polished for mass consumption. That's fine, I mean, he is an experimental electronic artist, and it's just an EP.

Boston Spaceships - Brown Submarine (2008)
Since I've been listening to Eyelids lately, I think it's about time I check out the band those members came from. Especially since I learned about Eyelids after having put this one on my wish list during the 2008 Adventure week. So far, I like this more than Guided by Voices. I've always felt when listening to GbV that most songs never fully developed before ending. That's different here. Many songs are still short, but they feel complete.

Children's Hospital - Alone Together (2008)
Another first listen from my 2008 wish list. Experimental rock with post-punk, no wave, and krautrock influences with female "vocals". It sounds like the soundtrack to a horror film based in a children's hospital. Not really, it's far more approachable than that would suggest. It's weird. It's interesting. It's a bit mental, and I like it.

Camberwell Now - The Ghost Trade (1986)
Two members of This Heat. A bit more accessible in some ways, but not that much - at least when compared to Deceit. Compared to the self-titled, yeah this is far more accessible.