Music Banter - View Single Post - Koch Brothers - $889 Million
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2015, 04:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
John Wilkes Booth
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post

Seriously though, Citizens United: Worst Supreme Court decision ever.
i am sort of conflicted. on the one hand, i see why the pragmatic implications of the ruling are negative. on the other hand, it seems perfectly consistent with our form of government and our economic policies.

i have yet to hear a really compelling argument from the left as to how you can justify restricting corporate campaign funding in a free-market oriented society. ultimately they are just making an investment that they think will pay off in some way or another.

i really don't see much of a distinction between corporations funding political propaganda and political campaigns and corporations funding advertising and marketing campaigns. both are just a way to purchase popular influence in a way that will supposedly benefit the organization in question.

the reason why i'm sort of on the fence is because i don't really believe capitalism/democracy is the best way to structure a society. so even though the ruling seems consistent with this model to me, i don't actually hold any real loyalty to the model in question.
John Wilkes Booth is offline   Reply With Quote